Wednesday, January 20, 2010

In the Beginning...

So this is my first blog post. I suppose I should start with a little about myself and why I decided to write this blog. I have been scouring the internet trying to find someone with a story similar to mine and I've found one or two here and there, but I notice they focus primarily on just the conception part of the process. I was hoping to find something about the decision-making process, but haven't had any luck. So, I thought I'd share my story for those out there who are going through the same thing. I know you're out there, and I hope I can offer some support.

Well, here goes...

I will be 31 in four months. I have a very small family consisting of a mom, a dad and a sister 3 years my junior. I have an aunt on my dad's side who is 11 years older than my dad, and an uncle on my mom's side who is really not a part of our lives. My sister is married and had her first baby (the first one in the family) in June 2009. My sister's husband is adamant that she have as little to do with our family as possible so that translates to "we're not close." I currently live on one coast and my family lives on the other. I have two years left here and then I can move back there and be closer to my parents which will be able to provide some support (not financially! I'm just fine with the money). I'm hesitant to wait to start trying until I get back near my family, because I'll be approaching 33 at that time and I know the process can take a long time. My thought is to do all the early-stage stuff now and maybe start with actually TTC in a year or so. Having an infant without anxious grandparents nearby at least for the first couple of months greatly appeals to me. Anyway, I digress...

I have had a very busy life so far. I never really thought of marriage as a possibility for me and frankly have never had the desire or met anyone who changed my mind about it. At this point in my life, I am happily single and well-established in my career. However, I am very aware of the shelf life of my little eggies and the prospect of growing old alone with no family. In the last year or so I have done quite a bit of research and internal debating regarding motherhood. I've looked at adoption and weighed the pros and cons.  I know that I need to start planning now and make some decisions about what I can/should do before it's too late. I know I still have some time and I'm not really in any hurry to do anything right this very second, but I also don't want to do like so many others before me and wake up one day going "oh sh*t. I'm 40 and I didn't think about wanting kids!" An additional consideration and thought I have is that I would prefer to have two children to balance out the family dynamic, which means I need to have the first one at an earlier age in order to have the second one by my no-later-than age of 38.

So, as of today this is my plan:
- Next week is the last week of my Yaz birth control. I'm not going to get a refill. I moved last year and still haven't found a new doctor to get the script reauthorized. Might as well start trying to purge my body and get my cycles in order. I've been on the pill for about 13 years so I'm afraid I might have problems.
- I bought a basal thermometer this afternoon and will start charting my cycle when it starts to see when (if) I get a regular cycle and use it to evaluate the potential for any problems.
- After about 6-8 months of cycle charting, I'll start looking for a doctor to get a checkup and maybe a fertility work up.

No comments:

Post a Comment